Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baked Cheesy Zucchini

One of my goals for my family is healthy eating. I decided a while back that once a week, we will have both a vegetarian meal and a meal with fish in it. Although I must admit I don't always get the fish in, I do find that vegetarian meals are not only cheaper, but healthier and easier! I tried this recipe last night and it took me about 5 minutes to prepare AND it was tasty. I love the cookbook "101 Things to do with a Casserole" so this recipe comes from there, but I varied it as listed below:

Baked Cheesy Zucchini

3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 T butter, melted
3/4-1 cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese (I didn't have Mozzarella, so I used my cheddar/grated mixed cheeses and it was delicious)

Preheat oven to 350.
In a greased 9x13 pan, layer zucchini, onion and tomatoes. Drizzle butter over vegetables. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Cover and bake 45-50 minutes or until veggies are tender. Remove from over, uncover and sprinkle cheese over top. Bake 5-7 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly.

This was before I baked it.


Final Product

No comments: