Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quick and Easy Breadsticks

I must make these at least once a week. My family loves them and there is nothing easier--truly! And they make so much that I usually freeze half of them or use for two meals in a row. Start to finish, these might take you at the most 30 minutes, so you could have these with your soup or casserole tonight. They were a big hit at my family get-together last weekend and my bread-loving twin nephews salivate every time I make them (or any bread--they love bread!). Make your family salivate tonight:

2 1/4 c. warm water
2 T yeast
3 T sugar
1 T salt
2 T oil
4-5 cups flour
1/4 c. butter
garlic salt
1 c. Parmesan cheese
dry parsley

Mix warm water, yeast and sugar in bowl and let dissolve. Add salt, oil and some of the flour; mix. Knead in remaining flour to get soft dough. Let rest 10 min. Preheat oven to 400 and grease large jelly roll pan cookie sheet. Press dough into pan and cut into breadsticks of our size-liking. Melt butter and stir in garlic salt to taste. Brush breadstick with garlic mixture and sprinkle with cheese and parsley. You really can put whatever you want on top of these because they are so universal. My family likes lots of cheese and not so much garlic. Bake 10 min or until light golden brown. YUMMY!

2 comments:

Morley Muse said...

They are even yummier when you don't have to make them! I am going to have to break down and make these, my boys can't stop talking about them!

Tonya said...

I think I just totally screwed up this recipe. Is the 'T' for tablespoons or teaspons? I did tablespoons.

Plus mine aren't browning after being in the oven for 20 minutes. Ugh, yours look so yummy, but I guess that I need to start over..LOL