Thursday, March 19, 2009

A spin on Tacos


I'm always trying to think of creative ways for my kids to get their Omega-3s, aka fish, without them turning their nose up at it. Yes, they love their fish sticks, but mama and papa needed something a little bit healthier and more savory. I saw this recipe on the Better Homes and Garden website and decided to give it a go. It took VERY little preparation and it was done in 20 minutes, start to finish. Can't say my kids loved every bite, but I sure did and so did my husband and older kids. Maybe you'd like it too. . .

Fish tostadas with Chili Lime Cream

1 lb. fresh tilapia or cod fillets
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 lime, halved
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 6-inch tostada shells
2 cups shredded cabbage mix
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes (I just used chopped on-the-vine tomatoes)
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional, although this was a must for me and my hubby)

Directions: Preheat broiler. Sprinkle fish with 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp. salt. For chili-lime cream, in bowl squeeze 2 tsp. lime juice. Stir in sour cream, garlic powder and remaining chili powder; set aside. Cut remaining lime half in wedges for serving. Place fish in greased pan. Place shells on baking sheet on lowest rack. Broil fish 4 inches from heat 4-6 min. per 1/2 inch thickness, until fish flakes with a fork. Break into chunks. Serve tostadas with cabbage, chili-lime cream, avocados, tomatoes, lime and pepper sauce. I think you could also add cheese to the mix, don't you? VERY simple, tasty meal that includes all the 5 basic food groups!

1 comment:

Nathan Lyman said...

those look so good! I am impressed that your kids ate them..I will have to try them with my kids! They may like them..we love the rubios fish tacos!