Sunday, September 13, 2009

Apple-licious whole grain morning pick-me-up

I found this recipe on the Vita-mix website (they have fabulous recipes by the way) and decided to try. I made this cereal for my family last week, slaving over chopping nuts and grinding wheat, but alas, they did not appreciate the yumminess factor. My husband loved it, I loved it and I think my 4-year old oatmeal-loving son loved it, but the rest turned up their noses. I must note I have some very picky eaters in my family, so maybe you would have more luck. I, for one, loved the walnuts, but maybe, just maybe if I would have left them out the kids would have eaten it better. Very hearty, very satisfying breakfast and that is majorly good for you!

Note: I did not use my Vita-mix mixer for this. In fact I used my Magic Bullet, and ground stuff in just smaller portions. It worked fine. Also, I didn't have a cinnamon stick, so I just added about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon and it was delish. I also quadrupled the recipe, since I wanted some leftover -- just gauge how much you think your family will eat. This recipe is not time consuming, though you might think so. It took me about 30 minutes, start to finish.

Apple-icious whole grain cereal
(Yield: 2 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup (48 g) brown rice
1/4 cup (50 g) wheat kernels
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240 ml) water
1/2 cup (120 ml) apple cider
cinnamon stick, or sprinkle with cinnamon
1/2 apple, quartered and peeled
2 teaspoons walnuts
sweetener of choice (optional)

Directions:

Place wheat, rice and salt into blender and secure lid. Blend for until it turns to a powdery substance. Place liquid ingredients and cinnamon stick into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir in wheat and rice mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop walnuts and apples. Add to the wheat/rice mixture with 5 minutes left in the cooking process. Sweeten to taste with your choice of sweetener. Add a bit of milk and enjoy!

No comments: