Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken Eggplant Parmesan


I bought an eggplant the other day. No real reason to, just thought I would. I thought it would be healthy for the kids and create a new challenge for me. I wanted to incorporate chicken somehow, so I started to search for some recipes. I came across this Chicken Eggplant Parmesan. Not only was it delicious, but it was extremely easy! I served it over whole wheat pasta, with a side of greens and (our fave) bread sticks. Here you go:

Chicken Eggplant Parmesan

Ingredients:
* 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (thin sliced)
* 1 medium eggplant (approximately 1 pound)
* 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs (I used crushed crackers)
* 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
* 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (approximately 3 cups)
* 1/4 lb Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Peel and slice eggplant.
Lay between two layers of paper towels for 15-20 minutes to drain moisture from eggplant, then discard paper towels.
Line bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish with the chicken breast slices.
Cover chicken with the eggplant slices.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs over eggplant.
Cover breadcrumbs with mozzarella cheese slices (or grated if you prefer).
Pour marinara sauce over cheese.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

Adam and Jana said...

This sounds delicious! I love eggplant and maybe- just maybe- my girls will eat it! (We won't even bother hoping for Adam!)