Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Stuff" about yogurt


I used to go to the grocery store and buy a cartful of Dannon or Yoplait without blinking an eye, just because they were on sale and tasted pretty darn good. Then I came across an article in my Runner's World magazine that enlightened me. I learned that my regulars are packed full of sugars or aspartame and absent of all the good-for-you stuff. So I thought I'd pass along my new-found knowledge. When shopping for yogurt look for the following things:

-The "Live and Active Cultures" seal (any other probiotic claim is simply marketing)
- No more than 180 calores
- No more than 1.5 grams of saturated fat
- No more than 30 grams of sugar
- At least 20 percent of your daily calcium (because we all know we need it and don't get enough! Calcium is watered down by added sugars or filler ingredients)
- 200 milligrams of potassium (though not always listed)

Favorite brands NOW include low-fat Greek (though pricey) and fat-free organic Wallaby yogurt(oh the yummy flavors, like pear and mango-lime!). A staple for me right now is plain Mountain High yogurt. You can pick up a tub of it for fairly inexpensive and just look at the possibilities with plain yogurt!

- Use it instead of sour cream on tacos or potatoes
- Mix it with maple syrup for a lower-sugar spread on pancakes or french toast
- Replace it cup for cup for buttermilk or whole milk when baking (who knew?)
- Substitute it for heavy cream in sauces or stews (Whisk in a tablespoon of flour first; boiling or heating yogurt will cause it to separate and curdle.)
- Blend it with a little olive oil and spices for a vegetable dip

My friend gave me a recipe to a delicious granola she makes. I have been putting it with my plain yogurt, a little fruit (any kind on hand at the time) and top it all with about a tablespoon of honey. Very yummy. Here's the recipe. Thanks Courtney!

Whole Lotta Nuts Granola

3 c. old fashioned rolled oats
½ c. slivered almonds
½ c. flaked coconut
¼ c. hulled green pumpkin seeds
¼ c. sunflower seeds or pine nuts (I’ve only used sunflower seeds)
½ c. chopped pecans or walnuts (I do ½ c. of each)
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. salt
4 T. butter
1/3 c. honey (I’ve also used agave nectar)
½ t. vanilla
½ c. raisins or chopped dates (I’ve only used raisins)
½ c. dried cranberries or blueberries (I’ve never used them)

Preheat oven to 325
In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients through salt. In a small saucepan, melt butter and honey over low heat, stirring. Add vanilla and pour butter mixture over the oat mixture and stir until well combined.
Spread the granola in a thin layer on a baking sheet with sides. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes to keep from sticking and to brown evenly. Bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned (Do not overcook, granola will crisp while cooling) Cool granola on the pan and stir in dried fruit. May be kept for a week at room temp. in an airtight container.

No comments: